LOOK AT HOW OHAM HAS GROWN FROM 2010 – 2020!
OPEN HEARTS and MINDS was founded. While living in Kenya Sarah and Phil Boyer met Edward Odhiambo who dreamed of building a school for the children of his village who were missing out on their education due to poverty. OHAM made Edward’s dream a reality and the children’s dream of an education come true.
- We opened Hearts and Minds School in an old borrowed building in the community. Little did we imagine how we would grow from these humble beginnings.
- All our children were given mosquito nets… so important in trying to prevent malaria.
- We squeezed a second class of 10 children into our school by putting up a dividing wall in the middle of the old building.
- We also built a covered lean-to so the cooks didn’t get wet during the rainy season whilst preparing and cooking the children’s delicious food.
- How were we going to accommodate our 3rd class? We built the annex! This was basically a mud building with a tin roof added on to the original building.
- We purchased the land for our permanent school and then started building the first classroom block… very exciting!
- Our first set of 12 water filters were distributed to families in the community… so happy to be providing safe drinking water to them.
tHE MOMENT HAD COME…
- … the new Open Hearts and Minds School was ready!
- The children had their lessons in their brand new classrooms in January!
- Everyone was so excited, including us!
- We had not built another classroom block yet so our new students used the church next door as their classroom.
- We built and installed playground equipment… the children had never seen anything like it! The laughter and joy could be heard all around.
- Our second classroom block was built, including a teachers’ office. OHAM School was growing so fast.
- Another 20 water filters, with a much improved design, were distributed… approximately 60 families now have access to safe drinking water.
- We built a new kitchen and installed 2 high-efficiency wood burning stoves. The cooks were so happy… no more smoke in their eyes.
- Also built a staff toilet block.
- We installed two 6000 litre water tanks and guttering… now we can collect rain water so it can be used during the dry season.
- Our third classroom block was added. We now have enough classrooms for the whole primary school: pre-unit to grade 8. Quite a milestone!
- We purchased mattresses for all our children to ensure they can use mosquito nets effectively and get a good night’s sleep… happy children!
- We built another toilet block for the students.
- Our first class at Open Hearts and Minds class graduated. Such a proud time for all of us!
- The clean water scheme was expanded by distributing 30 more water filters in the community… over 100 families can now drink clean water.
- Our first cohort of students started secondary school.
- OHAM committed to funding their fees for 4 years secondary education.
- OHAM School closed in March due to Covid-19.
- A fundraising drive raised enough money to feed the families of our children during this difficult time.
All of this has been achieved through the generosity and support of a growing network of Open Hearts and Minds sponsors and donors…we thank you from the bottom of our hearts.